Professionalism

So what I am gonna discuss today here is Professionalism.

What does Professionalism actually means?


So by Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, professionalism is the conduct, aims, or qualities that characterize or mark a profession or a professional person. Well, at different stage of our lives, we have to be professional in and when we are doing something. For example, when we are discussing about a worker sweeping the floor, his professionalism is to keep the place clean and making sure that there are no rubbish on the floor. If he does that, it means that he is professional.

People may ask. Why are you discussing this topic anyway? Is there any use of discussing about this? My answer is, Yes. It is really important to discuss this topic as a lot of the younger generations especially the 90's (no offence here), not all, but a lot of them, do not posses the quality of being called as professionals. Many a times, one single person holds a lot of roles in his or her life. Like me for example. I am a student, a son to my parents, a brother to my siblings, a counsellor to my friends, a mentor to my students and a lot more. Which means that I have to be professional at a lot of things.

Like being a student, by defining myself as professional, I have to attend to classes, finish up the tasks that was given by the lecturers, helping out my friends to complete the tasks and meeting deadlines for the task given. A lot of students do not understand this but, when we do something, we have to do it wholeheartedly. Take it as a chance and take it as when you are completing your work. If you are not professional in it, you will get scolding and even worse, offend someone else.

So again, why am I talking about this? Well, the story started a few days ago. If you guys followed my Facebook or my Instagram, I have been posting pictures while I was in Ao Nang, Krabi. Why I wanted to say this is because, I was sent to this trip by my lecturer with two of my assignment mates. Throughout the whole journey, I find that they do not posses as what I would call 'professional'. I am sorry to offend you guys if you read this but I find it hard to tell you on the face. So I will just say out everything here.

Being a student. We are obliged to complete all of our assignments, even if the assignment requires us to travel. Travelling is so damn fun, but at the same time, we went there for a trip for the assignment. So the interesting part goes. I am okay with you guys going to the pubs, drinking and dancing whole night. I really do. I had fun that night myself. But, didn't we have a plan before going to Thailand? We made plans so that we can complete everything within two days and we all can go have fun. We were supposed to follow that.

What is the case here is that, first, this trip is SUPPOSED to be an assignment trip. Why the hell did another human joined us and was planning everything for us. Yes I know he travels a lot and he is very knowledgeable. But he screwed up the whole plan. I have no idea why. You all said you guys wanna go, I followed. But the trips is getting too much and yes, I admit, I spend quite a lot myself. So I did not save up for the trips. But our main purpose here is to do assignment then trip.

Ok. To make the story short, I will be listing down some of the things that I feel is not being professional.

  1. This is an assignment trip. Do you think that it is appropriate to bring your boyfriend/girlfriend? And when everything is being planned out so nicely, he/she had something to say and the whole team has to follow. 
  2. Do you even read the questions before the interviews? Did you even pay any attention in the class? Have you ever wondered why our interview questions have to be reviewed by the lecturer? 
  3. I as a Qualitative Researcher To Be knows what to ask and what not to ask. If you don't know how to ask, please do check online where there are wide variety of interviewing videos that can be learned from. If you never know how, I urge you to read up and watch some videos before commenting. IF you said something without any proof or evidence, the statement is basically not valid. So, please refrain yourself from saying things like: "If you ask like that people will think that you think they are dumb". 
  4. I seriously doubt you as a student, even worse, as a media student. Have you ever learned how to use a camera? Have you ever watched videos on learning how to shoot a nice video? Have you ever considered that it is important when we shoot something, we have to make sure that the thing is not blurry and it is clear for people to see? If you have not, I suggest that you go and retake the subject in the uni under the Subject Code of SM 109, BASIC PHOTOGRAPHY. Clearly when you are doing the assignment, you had help from other people.
  5. Being in a group, it is important that you respect what people have to say. But instead, you only want your voice to be heard. You do not respect other members in the group. 
Above is the 5 things that I think is really unprofessional. First, please don't mix your private affairs with your assignment. Second, please do make sure that you read everything that was posted in any of the group. If those information is not important, why the hell did I put it up and let you guys have a look? Third, please remember to read up enough information about what you are going to do. Yes. The information of the place is important. But is it not important that you understand how to interview people? Forth, when we are doing any assignment, it is our own duties and responsibilities, not other people's, not your friends', not your parents' but it is OUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY. 

If you can't see, I will enlarge it for you. 

OUR OWN RESPONSIBILITIES!!!

Do not tell me ever again that you will ask your friend to do it. The consequence of constantly asking help is that even the basics you do not know how to do. You can't even function a camera properly. You don't know what is the depth of field, you don't understand what is aperture, you have no single idea of how to use the manual focus and you failed as a student. You never bothered to learn even the simplest thing while you are studying in the university. Not that I am saying that everyone needs to learn how to function a camera, but it is important for us who studied media to know. The things that you gave me are all blurry, out of focus. And you dare give it to me? If you say that you strive for the results, why can't I see it? Why can't I see you putting in efforts to make sure everything is alright? 

Fifth, you clearly have to learn how to listen. Not hearing, but listening. Learn to listen to what people has to say. Learn to be patient on what people wants to say. Learn to accept what people has to say. I know you are much older than me. But that does not mean that you are more knowledgeable or you are more capable than me. If you think that you are capable, prove it. Don't only know how to speak and when things does not go in your way, you blame other people. If one day when you are out in the society, you do not listen, you will lose a lot. When you don't listen, you can't even follow the simplest of the instructions that was given. And what use is that anyway? 

Ok. I am done ranting here. I really hope that you can change for the better. To that one single lady, thank you for letting me learn all these from you, so that I will not repeat what you did. I hope you can get a good grade and a good job soon. And I hope after this, I would not need to have anything to do with you. Good bye and hope I never need to be in a group with you ever again. 

Cheerios, 
By a very angry me,



YiXin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment